9.25.2012

Fall Polish Picks

Ah, fall. Changing leaves, pumpkin infused everything, and cool, crisp air. It's finally my favorite season. Along with my favorite season also comes my favorite nail polish collections. While it's rare that I find a collection I'm *not* interested in, I can easily say I get the most excited for fall polish releases. I love deep, rich colors and these collections in particular seem to come with a very wide variety of shades that also happen to be extremely wearable. Not a lot of shocking pinks or neons to be found around here! Don't get me wrong, those are fun, but honestly they're not wearable in all situations let alone all seasons, whereas fall colors I feel I can wear year-round.

I've gathered some of my favorites from the new fall polish lines from my favorite brands. I could talk about my all-time favorite fall polishes, but that's for another post. ;) Many of these lacquers are limited edition, so I'd snatch up the ones you like while you can!


First is Essie Don't Sweater It. It's a tan-brown creme from the Stylenomics collection. Neutral, nude colors are always a necessity for each season and fall is no different. This is the perfect "goes with everything" color and I don't think it's extremely warm nor cool toned. The application is smooth; I only needed about two coats for opacity.

China Glaze Desert Sun and I Herd That are both from the On Safari collection. Desert Sun is a caramel creme that just reminds me of caramel lattes and candies. When I first saw the promo picture, I thought it would be very much like my beloved OPI Ginger Bells. Turns out GB is much more of a burnt orange and Desert Sun is lighter and brighter, but so appropriate for fall. It's nearly opaque on the first coat, which I applied rather thick, but I did two just for good measure. I Herd That is the glitter cousin of Desert Sun. It's very warm with lots of gold, red, and orange flecks. The best part about this is that it can be layered alone for a solid glitter nail or it goes perfectly on top of Desert Sun. You will need a couple of coats to get a solid glitter nail, but the glitter is not goopy and thick, nor is it difficult to place. I would suggest a good top coat though as the glitter does dry as shiny as it is in the bottle and it leaves rough finish.

Ah, Essie Spinning Again. This is in the Yogaga collection and it might be one of my new permanent faves. It's a gorgeous brick red and looks a bit deeper on the nail than it does in the bottle. The formula was just perfect. Not too thick, not too thin. I used two coats for full opacity.

Butter London Shag is just gorgeous. It's a warm, metallic bronze/orange. All of the shimmery Butter polishes dry with so much shine that the only time I use a top coat is to help the manicure last longer. Once again, I only used two coats for full opacity.

All of the OPI polishes in this post are from the new Germany collection, and the first is Deustche You Want Me Baby? The names in this particular collection are so cheesy... and yet they work. This is a very shimmery red orange shade, and it pulls more orange on the nail. This is seriously fall in a bottle. Pumpkins, leaves, you name it. The formula was also a two-coater with a super shiny finish.

OPI Danke-Shiny Red. I don't know if it's possible to say enough good things about this polish. This red is so fall, and very holiday-ish as well. The shimmer in it makes the red absolutely glow. It's crazy. I could go on and on, but really... it's beautiful.

Essie's Recessionista is also from the Stylenomics collection and it's a burgundy red. Now we're getting into the vampy colors. (I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of that word around here.) It looks more purple in the bottle, but don't let that fool you. I'm a huge fan of vampy colors, and the ones in particular that aren't so dark that they look black. Essie can be pretty inconsistent with their formulas and I expected this to be watery - I was wrong. Solid formula and I used two coats.

The next two OPIs are from the Germany collection and are often confused for each other. They do look similar in the bottles, but are different and beautiful enough to justify needing both! The first is German-icure by OPI - a burgundy red shimmer with a very blackened red base. The next, Every Month is Oktoberfest is a reddish purple shimmer. The base is very purple, almost appearing black after two coats with a gorgeous red shimmer. Both of the polishes remind me of the shine and finish in polishes like Black Cherry Chutney. I used two coats for both of these. While EMIO could be a one-coater if applied pretty thick, German-icure definitely needs two coats, possibly even three. I had a lot of sheer bald spots on the first application and the shimmer really didn't pop until the second coat.

Grey polishes. The edgier, rebellious cousin of the light neutral polishes. I feel like I need a grey for every season as much as I do a nude and folks, this is it. Nein! Nein! Nein! Ok Fine! is the name (how cute) and it's a very dark grey with green undertones. Depending on you skin tone, it may appear a stark grey or it may look more green at times. I think that's what makes me love this. I have a lot of greys that are just that... plain grey. I love colors with sneaky undertones like this and the green-grey is perfect for cooler weather. Again, great formula.

Last but certainly not least, we have the namesake polish of Essie's fall collection, Stylenomics. Be still my heart. I will fall for a color like this every single time, no matter how many of them I have. A deliciously creamy dark green with strong blue undertones and a bit of grey. I love it. This is also another color that may look more grey, green, or blue depending on your skin tone. This entire fall line from Essie has had surprisingly pretty good formulas.

So there we have it. All the little lacquers I just had to get my hands on for fall. 'Tis the season!

xoxo
Elise





No comments:

Post a Comment