11.11.2012

How to Update Your Beauty Bag for Autumn

Where has the time gone?! I haven't blogged for over a week! My mind is filled to the brim with all kinds of posts for you lovelies, but with the start of my new job, I've found myself with considerably less amounts of free time. I could ramble on about that but let's focus on the important topic at hand at the moment - autumn-appropriate beauty products. 

No, there are no specific products designated for you to wear during this season and this season only, sillies. But there definitely are some that fit it so perfectly. Not everyone has a dresser full of products to pick from as the seasons change, but there are a few simple things you can add to your beauty bag to stay updated and fresh for autumn.

1. One of the best things you can do for yourself as the weather changes is to take good care of your skin. For me, that means a lot of exfoliating and moisturizing. Everything starts with a good base, and your face is no different. Exfoliating gets rid of the flaky skin (and helps give you that holiday glow!) and a good lotion will help replenish all of the moisture that the cold weather and the indoor heating seem to zap from it. One of my favorite exfoliators is the St. Ives Apricot Scrub, and it's such a steal at the drugstore. I also typically switch to a heavier moisturizer in the colder months. Right now I'm loving Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer.

2. I don't know about y'all but my skin is a ghastly white in the fall/winter. It gets a bit depressing that I almost feel like my skin looks sickly because I'm just *that* pale. I feel like adding a little definition and glow to your face is appropriate no matter what season your skin happens to be reflecting. My typical spring/summer bronzers most definitely do not do the trick this time of year. They start to look orange or muddy and completely unnatural. CARGO'S Bronzer in Medium is the best I've found. It's a lighter shade and it's matte so it could easily be used for contouring or just a touch of color. 

3. When I think of fall lips I picture deep, rich colors. Berries and wines. I recently picked up MAC Dark Side lipstick and let me tell you - it's vampy and beautiful and just... sigh. It's definitely more suited for night than day. A drugstore find I've been surprisingly loving is the Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick in Plum. This is much more wearable than Dark Side and leans a little bit more pink than purple or red. The color is still very rich and seasonally appropriate. 

4. You can never go wrong with a good plummy blush this time of year. MAC Breath of Plum and NYX Raisin are both great powder options. Both of these are fairly matte plums and the color can either be sheered out or built up quite nicely. I personally have extremely dry skin and I love cream blushes in the colder months as well. Illamasqua's Betray Cream Blusher is a goooorgeous rosy plum. 

5. While I may be obsessed with taupe eye shadows all year, I particularly love them for autumn. It's the perfect color that can be warm, cool, and shimmery... all at the same time. It goes well with nude lips, dark lips, and I think it is generally flattering on all skin tones. MAC Satin Taupe has to be one of my most cherished eye shadows of all time. In the pan alone, it's about $11.50, but fear not! I have other great taupe eye shadow suggestions! Wet n Wild Nutty single eye shadow is incredibly similar to Satin Taupe and here's the kicker - it's about $2 at the drugstore! Talk about a steal. The L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow in Bronzed Taupe is also a drugstore steal. I can't say enough about the formula and pigmentation of all of the shadows in this line. 

6. Last but not least, it's always fashionable for your fingertips to match the season. My top picks for autumn usually involve a blue, a green, and a wine. Here I've chosen Essie Stylenomics, a creamy dark green; Butter London Royal Navy, fairly self-explanatory; and a classic, OPI Lincoln Park After Dark. 

So there we have it. Six festive and fairly cost-effective ways to completely revamp your look for autumn. Do you have any favorite fall products? I'd love if you shared them with me!






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment